Friday, April 2, 2021

Bezos in Space

"In February, Jeff Bezos announced he was stepping aside as CEO of Amazon and would become executive chair of the board. He wanted, he said, “the time and energy” to focus on his nonprofit, the Day 1 Fund, along with “the Bezos Earth Fund, Blue Origin, The Washington Post, and my other passions.” Yet he had given relatively little to charity in the past. An early Amazon investor, Nick Hanauer, has described him as uninterested in righting social wrongs. People close to Bezos have long suggested a different purpose behind his pursuit of enormous personal wealth (and committed exercise routine). “The only way that I can see to deploy this much financial resource is by converting my Amazon winnings into space travel,” Bezos said in 2018. “That is basically it.”

That's from the end of a review of a good book about how horrible Amazon is to work for and how it's further destroying the country.

I placed at least two orders through Amazon this week.  Basically no other choice.  On that same basis, I placed my first order from Amazon in 1997.  Price has never been a factor for me, selection and speed has been.  I wish I could choose to pay more to give the workers bathroom breaks and safety.

https://newrepublic.com/article/161891/amazon-exploited-weakened-america-alec-macgillis-fulfillment-review?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tnr_daily

No comments:

Post a Comment