Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Human Rights Watch

In the past few years, after following Grayzone and similar websites, I've begun to question Human Rights Watch (HRW) a group I supported several times in the last 20 years.  I'd begun to wonder if they weren't part of the general Western Imperial Disinformation Program that is incessantly critical primarily of "enemies" of the USA, while ignoring abuses by USA and allies.  (After reading this Grayzone article, there is no doubt in my mind.  HRW pushes sanctions and applauds coups in leftist South American governments including Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Ecuador while ignoring right wing death squads.)

In the past month, HRW has released two landmark reports.  The first, which nobody I know well except me is moved to question, concerns the Uighurs in China.  The second concerns Palestinians in territories controlled by Israel.  I think everyone I know except for a handful of Zionist friends would find the report on Israel very believable if not incredibly obvious.

A Zionist friend of mine is now railing against HRW as another brick in the endless worldwide wall of antisemitism.  I'm more suspicious of the fact that HRW retained an official presence in Israel until recently, and it seems to me they could have released their report on Israel 10 or 20 years ago, if not 30.  Given my feelings and actions (such as support for BDS) towards Israel, I doubt Israeli authorities would ever let me in to the country.  So how was HRW there until recently?  HRW presence in Israel always looked like a whitewash to me--one more reason to doubt that the organization was impartial.  I had similar feelings when Greta Thunberg visited Israel.

So, from my perspective, the HRW report on Israel and the Palestinians looks more like a credibility generating measure than anything else.  No reasonable or impartial person could doubt it.  To "show" they are impartial, HRW finally (after decades) releases a report on Palestinians in Israel, only a week or two after releasing a harsh report about Uighurs in China.  In the spy novels of John LeCarre, the report on Israel would be called Chickenfeed bundled in with the current operational disinformation on China.

I'd like to see Grayzone or Dr Asatar Bair demolish the HRW report on China.  Such people have primarily been focused on one non-impartial China researcher, Adam Zenz.  Leaving me somewhat unsatisfied because there seem to be others reporting on the Uighur situation, possibly with more credibility.



No comments:

Post a Comment