Thursday, September 5, 2019

Neoconservatives

In place of my word Zionists, Pat Buchanan uses the word Neoconservatives, an an epic denunciation of the War on Iraq just as it was starting.

I generally think of Neoconservatives as the think tank suits, not the average person.  On the other hand, Zionists--who may be Christians or Jews--seems a more apt description of average people who just support a strong and unconditional defense of Israel, and aren't thinking of how to keep the whole Middle East under control for that and other "US interests."  But, correctly or not, Zionists does sound more like a Jew (actually, it may be the reverse...while there are more Christian Zionists than Jewish Zionists, it may not go that way for Neoconservatives, but reflecting that, Jewish Zionists may be more passionate about their Zionism than Christian ones generally, but then anti-Zionist organizations seem dominated more by passionate anti-Zionist Jews than anyone in the USA too).

I haven't found him use the word Jew except in this passage:

They charge us with anti-Semitism—i.e., a hatred of Jews for their faith, heritage, or ancestry. False. The truth is, those hurling these charges harbor a “passionate attachment” to a nation not our own that causes them to subordinate the interests of their own country and to act on an assumption that, somehow, what’s good for Israel is good for America.
I like Pat Buchanan's anti-Imperial writings.  (His writings on economics or US politicians I find disagreeable, but those may be the smaller part.)

From what I've seen of his recent writings, he does not portray anti-Semitism.

I take great issue with the Southern Strategy for Nixon in 1968 he invented or was part of, and perhaps other of his previous writings or activities, but every one of his anti-Imperial writings I've read since 2003 has been first rate.  In saying this, I should confess, that following my mother I was an early teen supporter of Nixon myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment