Monday, February 12, 2018

text or video and/or audio

For self-directed information gathering, nothing beats text.  That's why I spend so many hours reading website articles, comment sections, and blogs.  And searching, and I confess reading Quora and * Exchange.

I can barely bear on my own time to watch TV, movies, anything.  It's all too slow, from the standpoint of what I want to know.

Though it is true a picture may be worth 1000 words.  That's when you desire, or need, to have 1000 words directed at you, like a firehose, taking over your mind.  That's what video does by it's nature.  You must submit to it, and it kinda takes over.  Rude is the guest who talks while every else it watching the picture.

With modern production styles, vido can indeed be extreme information overload.  But it's not all the information you are seeking.  It's being blown at you with high pressure.  You have many choices, but they are all useless choices, 1000 channels of shit, none really goes exactly where you want, or even very close.

Channels and programs survive by locking you in, shutting everything else out.  So they pull every trick to keep you locked in.

To bear listening to such, for me, almost requires human company.  I can watch TV, movies, documentaries, clips with someone else, by myself it's a drag.  I can only have video screens running as "background video", without the sound track that...most of all it turns out...locks you in.

And then you have the traditional promo.  That promises a lot and then gives you endless background story before concluding...you need to buy the product to know more.

I can barely stand to hear the beginning of an advertisement, I don't like long announcements either, for the longest time I tried in vain to find a satellite music provider that would play with no announcements at all.

Now you can program songs in any order you choose, from an endless collection, what could be better?  Well it could be better not to have to make any choices, what you like or would like to discover would just play, but that never presents itself without some form of "announcement."  I've come to accept this.  Now I can get channels of music on Dish network, but the premise is that you are viewing the program names on TV.  Those names just have to be getting to you, in multiple ways if possible.  Somehow it all seems less important to me now, I can tune out a low level of plain talking.

The easy background sound I most often prefer is plain old FM radio, and I can change presets with my remote control.  Old fashioned but still the best background for me, mostly thanks to noncommercial radio stations in the low end of the band.  Easily kept from taking over your mind, and if not, the channel can be changed.  When I can't find anything on radio, I can let Pandora decide what to play.




No comments:

Post a Comment